Saturday, June 25, 2022
HomeFootball NewsTottenhamTottenham news: Antonio Conte 'disturbed' by interview fall-out as boss makes Levy...

Tottenham news: Antonio Conte ‘disturbed’ by interview fall-out as boss makes Levy claim | Football | Sport

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Tottenham manager Antonio Conte claims that he is ‘disturbed’ by the fall-out from a recent interview, which suggested that he was unhappy with Spurs’ transfer business in January. Stories had circulated suggesting that the Italian was delivering uncomfortably home truths to chairman Daniel Levy, and that Conte could cut his losses and leave in the summer. 

Spurs had to let four players leave last month before they could bring in two players of their own. 

And while Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur have arrived to bolster the squad, Conte still had to miss out on a number of key targets. 

With issues persisting at wing-back, the manager was forced to watch on while Adama Traore opted for Barcelona instead of the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. 

Lucrative signings Bryan Gil, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele all made way on loan, while Dele Alli left for Everton on a permanent deal. 

In a recent interview with Sky Italia, Conte claimed that his squad had become ‘technically weaker’ since January. 

He also suggested that his view on ideal signings differed from the club’s philosophy, with Levy and co preferring to chase young talent, and Conte demanding experienced stars. 

During Friday’s press conference before Spurs head to the Etihad on Saturday, the Italian claimed he was ‘distubed’ by the way the interview had been received. 

He also claims that he will not do any more interview in Italian, for fear of mistranslations leading to a similar reaction. 

“During the interview after the transfer market they asked me about the club and if I’m happy,” he explained, “I said the club did the best can do.

“We lost four players, important players for Tottenham. These players we sent away on loan cost a lot of money.

“Numerically you could be a bit weaker.

“Then I said with Kulusevski and Bentancur we are more complete.

“I don’t understand why someone want to create a problem between me…and also in the past.

“[There have been] a lot of stories between the chairman and the club. He knows my thoughts.

“It’s not important for me to go to the media. I can speak to him.”

After putting the issue to bed, Conte must prepare his Spurs side for a tricky assignment against a rampant Man City side on Saturday afternoon. 

The Sky Blues have collected 43 points from the last available 45, while the Lilywhites come into the tie nursing an unfortunate run which has seen them lose each of teir last three Premier League games. 





Source Link: Read more

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here