Saturday, June 25, 2022
HomeFootball NewsMan UnitedMan Utd's Mason Greenwood 'no longer a Nike athlete' as clothing giants...

Man Utd’s Mason Greenwood ‘no longer a Nike athlete’ as clothing giants release statement | Football | Sport

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Nike have confirmed that they will no longer be sponsoring Manchester United‘s Mason Greenwood going forward. The 20-year-old was arrested last month by Greater Manchester Police on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman. 

He has since been released on bail, with a statement from GMP reading: “A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday 30 January 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”

Upon his initial arrest, Nike suspended their sponsorship of Greenwood, saying: ”We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood. We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”

And the clothing brand have now made a final decision, with a brief statement reading: “Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete”.

Greenwood has also been suspended from the video game FIFA.

And United have confirmed he will not play or train for the team for the foreseeable future.

A number of other sponsors have also made statements.

United’s official partner Cadbury says Greenwood will not be used in any marketing products “while these allegations are being investigated”.

That has been followed by a statement from the club’s official logistics partner DHL.

They said: “We are aware of the recent allegations against Manchester United footballer, Mason Greenwood.

“While we do not tolerate any kind of violence, we will not be commenting on the situation while the investigation is ongoing.

“Our partnership with Manchester United encompasses the team, the club and the global brand, and not one specific individual.”

Konami, a global partner of United since 2019, also confirmed that Greenwood has been suspended from their football games. A statement read: “In light of the serious allegations made against Mason Greenwood, the player will be removed from our football titles until further notice.

“Specifically for PES 2021 on mobile, users cannot newly obtain the player, but existing owners are unaffected. KONAMI condemns violence of any kind. While police inquiries are ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further.”





Source Link: Read more

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here