ENGLAND have been ordered to play a match behind closed doors after fan trouble at the Euro 2020 final.
Gareth Southgate’s men won’t have fans present for their next Uefa home match – which will be a Nations League contest next year.
And the Three Lions were also hit with an £85,000 fine as well as a second match behind closed doors, which is suspended for two years.
It comes after chaos at the Euro 2020 final at Wembley this summer when ticketless fans stormed the stadium.
England lost to Italy on penalties in a game that was overshadowed by the poor fan behaviour.
Groups of fans broke through security cordons and got into the stadium without a ticket.
And the disorder continued as objects were thrown and the Italian national anthem was booed.
Tournament organisers Uefa opened disciplinary proceedings against the FA in August and finally issued sanctions on Monday.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
But under new Uefa rules, England could still play in front of a stadium full of kids.
Games played ‘behind closed doors’ are set to be allowed an unlimited number of kids under the age of 14 in attendance.
The youngsters must be from local schools or football academies and be accompanied by responsible adults.
A Uefa statement ordered the FA: “To play its next two Uefa competition matches as host association behind closed doors, the second of which is suspended for a probationary period of two years from the date of the present decision, for the lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium.”
And the European governing body statement added: “To fine the English Football Association £85,000 for the lack of order and discipline inside and around the stadium, for the invasion of the field of play, for throwing of objects and for the disturbances during the national anthems.”
An FA statement said: “Although we are disappointed with the verdict, we acknowledge the outcome of this Uefa decision.
“We condemn the terrible behaviour of the individuals who caused the disgraceful scenes in and around Wembley Stadium at the Euro 2020 final, and we deeply regret that some of them were able to enter the stadium.
“We are determined that this can never be repeated, so we have commissioned an independent review, led by Baroness Casey, to report on the circumstances involved.
“We continue to work with the relevant authorities in support of their efforts to take action against those responsible and hold them to account.”
The Sun revealed how just one England fan has been convicted of causing trouble at the Euros.
And police do not know if they were even among those wreaking havoc at the final.
Without convictions in court, no banning orders can be issued.
So all who shamed the country are free to continue following the national side home and away.
The lack of action heaps more pressure on Met chief Dame Cressida Dick.
Force figures show there were more than 150 arrests for disorder during games in England.
Of those, 19 were charged and 26 issued with cautions or penalty notices for disorder.
A further 104 have been released under investigation or bailed.
But just one person has been convicted so far.
We can also reveal just one Met officer was at a Wembley safety meeting before the security shambles at the final.
The force said: “We refute any claim that our representation at these meetings underestimates our commitment to keeping people safe and mitigating disorder.”
Source Link: Read more