Friday, August 19, 2022
HomeFootball NewsMan UnitedCristiano Ronaldo involved in Man Utd reunion as he arrives for Southampton...

Cristiano Ronaldo involved in Man Utd reunion as he arrives for Southampton clash | Football | Sport

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Cristiano Ronaldo shared an embrace with Patrice Evra ahead of Manchester United’s clash with Southampton on Saturday. The 37-year-old has been picked by manager Ralf Rangnick to start the showdown at Old Trafford. And he’ll be hoping to avoid going six games without a goal.

Manchester United have gone strong for today’s match with Southampton as they seek a return to winning ways.

David De Gea starts in goal, with Diogo Dalot, Harry Maguire, Raphael Varane and Luke Shaw all starting in defence.

In midfield, United have gone with Bruno Fernandes and Paul Pogba playing ahead of Scott McTominay.

And, up top, Ralf Rangnick has deployed Ronaldo with speedsters Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford either side of him going forward.

Now, ahead of the club’s match with Southampton, they’ve shared video footage of Ronaldo and Evra having a sweet embrace as the veteran arrived for the match. 

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

Yet he insisted Ronaldo deserved the credit for going back, rather than him for helping the deal take place.

“I think many people are trying to get credit for Cristiano coming back home but the person we should thank the most is Cristiano Ronaldo himself,” he said earlier in the season.

“I want to say thank you to his mum for giving us a beautiful, amazing human being.

“People just talk about Cristiano Ronaldo the football player but he’s a good guy, I’m lucky to know him personally so thank you to mummy Cristiano.

“His sister, his friends and close friends, and his agent Jorge Mendes. So much respect for him.

“Every time when you have those kinds of players you need to do the right move and again, he did that right move.

“So Jorge, well done again. And the fans, you played a massive part.”

Rangnick, meanwhile, has defended Ronaldo with the veteran currently on a run of five matches without a goal.

“It’s not only about Cristiano Ronaldo,” the German said.

“We should score more goals, it’s obvious, I think we are creating enough chances and and enough opportunities in the last couple of games but we just didn’t score enough goals.

“But this is not only an issue with Cristiano, it’s an issue with the other players, especially the offensive players. We don’t score enough goals.

“If you bear in mind how many chances we create, and this is also something that needs to get better in the next couple of weeks.

“At Burnley, in 70 of those 90 minutes, it was very, very, very close to the game plan we spoke before the game and now it’s about rewarding ourselves and also getting the results we should deserve.”





Source Link: Read more

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here