Saturday, August 13, 2022
HomeFootball NewsReal MadridAleksander Ceferin compares Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus to flat-earthers over Super League...

Aleksander Ceferin compares Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus to flat-earthers over Super League push

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has taken a swipe at Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus over their continued push for a European Super League and compared the clubs to flat-earthers.

A total of 12 of Europe’s top clubs — led by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez — announced in April 2021 that they intended to create a new Super League and break away from UEFA’s established Champions League competition.

Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
– Weekend review: Barca deliver Xavi’s biggest win

After a hostile reaction from supporters and governments alike the move collapsed, with all six Premier League clubs plus Inter Milan, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid withdrawing.

Last month, a court in Madrid rejected a bid from UEFA to have the judge who granted an injunction protecting the Super League removed from the case but Ceferin is adamant the breakaway league will not happen.

“I don’t have a problem with them [Barcelona, Madrid and Juventus],” Ceferin told Le Journal du Dimanche. “But after they stabbed me and UEFA, I think it’s up to them to call.

“In the same way that the earth is flat, they still think the Super League exists. At the same time, they were the first to sign up to play in the Champions League this season.

“A bit strange. But if they asked for a meeting, I would sit down. There’s nothing personal behind it. But the only things we hear from them are lawsuits that have no place. They’re trying to put pressure everywhere.

“Nobody wants it [the Super League] except the few who think that football is all about money.”

Ceferin was also critical of FIFA’s proposal for biennial World Cups with the organisation planning to hold the competition for men and women every two years instead of four.

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said the plans are a “threat” to other sports while footballing stars Kylian Mbappe and Robert Lewandowski also expressed concerns about player welfare.

“I’m sure that it won’t happen because it’s complete nonsense,” Ceferin added. “It’s a populist project that would destroy football. It goes against all the principles of our sport. It’s not just bad for Europe.

“It’s incredible that a football organization can propose that players, who already have to bear too heavy a load, play a month-long tournament every summer.

“Also imagine how much that would destroy women’s football? I’m not sure they understand but I’m sure they hear the rejection from fans, authorities, governments, the European Union.”



Source Link: Read more

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here